Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Nat Gross wrote:
On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
If you are looking in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for ifcfg-eth0,
and not finding it, they you are probably using NetworkManager to
manage the interface. You may have to configure it again. (If you
looked in the wrong place, make sure ifcfg-eth0 has "ONBOOT=yes".)

Mikkel
--
I don't have any file that begins with ifcfg in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
I took another look at the "services" gui and am not running

Definitely strange - At the very least, you should have ifcfg-lo!

If you are using hte network service and DHCP, ifcfg-eth0 should
look something like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=<MAC address>
DHCP_HOSTNAME=<something>
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no

You don't need all of this - you could get by with:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no

I really suggest using the MAC field, it prevents learning about Plauger's Law (law of least astonishment) the hard way... Of course the O.P. was using the MAC field (I suspect) and didn't know it.

You should also be able to create it using system-config-network.

Indeed. And I believe that should be part of the default install again.

Mikkel

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>