Re: Virtualizing XP with dual boot FC10/XP

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:20 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
Agile Aspect wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I now have a virtual machine that runs Windows XP, however I am in
>> trouble with the Windows activation process because I can't (yet)
>> provide a valid product key code to the Microsoft activation server. The
>> installation CD is from Dell, I just bought a new laptop with a Dell
>> "Windows XP downgrade" and I need to ask Dell's support people how I'm
>> supposed to provide a valid product key for this. It may be that I have
>> to install Windows Vista first (because I have a Vista CD and product
>> key too) and then downgrade to XP, I don't know quite yet.
>>
> The valid product key for Windows on Dell laptops should be
> on bottom side of the computer.

There is a label for Windows Vista. Remember I said this is a Windows XP
downgrade. If you look at Latitude E-Series laptops on Dell.com (their
USA website), you will see what I am talking about -- I paid an extra
$99 for the downgrade. The CD I am using also shipped with the new
computer, so it's legal, or should be. I'll ask at the Dell forums...

Thanks!

Bob

Your license key may or may not work in a VM. Last time I tried to install Dell's OEM version of XP inside VMWare (admittedly a few years ago), it refused to activate and gave a message that it was only licensed to run on Dell hardware.

Wayne.