Re: mount relatime option / Ext3-fs: Unrecognized mount option ...

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Ryan Sawhill <rsawhill+flist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ryan, thanks for mentioning removing relatime flag before building
>> a new initrd. I forgot to mention that. See the bugzilla entry link I
>> posted before (comment #4) which explains what's going on.
>
> Looking at that bug task now I see it's totally relevant and explains
> our issue. Doesn't have anything to do with this particular kernel I
> see. It hadn't occurred to me that this was the first time I had
> updated my kernel since adding relatime to my laptop's fstab.
>
> I want to ESPECIALLY thank you for the pointer Kenny, because
> something said on that page led me to do a little research and realize
> that by default, relatime is actually set for all filesystems by the
> kernel nowadays. Wow. Had no idea. I only started using it because I
> found it in the mount man page. SO GARY, you can take your relatime
> stuff out of fstab too. :) For more info, see
> http://lwn.net/Articles/244829/ ... then if you want even more google
> "default_relatime". (On a kernel that has the update, you'll find
> /proc/sys/kernel/fs/default_relatime, which will be set to 1 unless
> you change it with a boot option [or on the fly].)
>
> --

Kenny/Ryan --

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.26.6-79.fc9.x86_64.img 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.x86_64

this worked like a charm! now I gotta start reading lwn.net/web info and see why
including relatime in my fstab caused this situation. Many Many thanks!

-- Gary )