Re: Trying to reconfigure F9 to new computer hardware... firstboot?

Les Mikesell wrote:
Mike wrote:
Dan Thurman <dant <at> cdkkt.com> writes:

What happened was that I spent a lot of time configuring
computer "A", and rsync'd the root filesystem onto disk
at computer "B".  I then rsync'd from hard disk to computer
"C" and everything was fine except that the hardware is
clearly different.

I am not sure that copying the root partition from one machine to another
is a good way to install Linux.

Was there some special reason not to use one of the normal install methods from the DVD or Live CD?

The usual reason for doing this is that you have done extensive configuration and/or installed local or 3rd party software that would take a lot of time to repeat. Or you just want to know how things will work out if you have to restore from your backups on a new machine. Or maybe your computer died and you really do have to restore from backups now.
Well said!

Or, you installed under VMware with a different host OS to test usability and now that you know everything works, you want to migrate your working setup to real hardware.
Yup!

It would be _really_ nice if the installer could be re-run in this situation, offering to fix only the things that needed to be fixed (re-detect hardware, build a working initrd, install grub, fix your modprobe.conf and check your fstab and network setup). You can do this gunk by hand, but it means you have to know as much as anaconda (which doesn't seem to be all that well documented...) about hardware and drivers. You can sort-of get most of the effect by making /boot a separate partition, doing a basic install on the new hardware, then removing everything except /boot and copying in your old stuff, but that seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

Perfect!

Also...

1) To test and see if rsync would work in restoring crashed,
    update-damaged, user or "act of god" missing/destroyed
    filesystem or broken hard disk as a backup/restore method.

2) Clone rsync'd filesystems to other computers to save a LOT
   of time, which remains to be seen.

I discovered that the reason for the text-screen/gui-screen flip-flop
was that I created a new xorg.conf file to reflect the new graphics
hardware and used the Xorg --configure command to create the
xorg.conf file which was placed in ~/xorg.conf.new.

I then copied this file to /etc/X11, rebooted, and there was flip-flopping.

I read on a forum that in F9, you simply do not have to have xorg.conf
in /etc/X11 and xorg would automatically find and setup the graphics.
Ok, so I renamed xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak, rebooted, and lo and behold!
It worked! So the problem is figuring out how to create a xorg.conf file
that will work properly - although I could just leave it missing in /etc/X11
but what are the consequences in doing that?

Then, I redid the steps 1-4, rebooted and firstboot comes up!

However....

When I got to the last step for "Hardware profiles", it came up with
a blank textbox showing no hardware!  Hmm...  I pressed the "Back"
button hoping that it would redo the hardware profiling - no luck!
So, how can I force a new hardware profiling?

BTW: Ever since I had been rebooting since the first time I rsync'd
root into my partition, HAL failed to start and I have not been able
to get this to work on boot.  When I was fully booted, logged in as
a normal user, became root and issued the command:

/usr/sbin/hald --verbose=yes

hald had started with no errors....  what gives?

All of my services started with no errors except for hal.

So at this point, I am left wondering if all of my hardware
was even detected and updated (which I doubt), the xorg.conf
question, and that the hal daemon fails to start at boot time.
Seems this is all (so far) that I need to resolve.

Any ideas on where I can go from here?

Thanks!
Dan