Re: [OT] Are security updates necessary?

Mike Bird wrote:
On Sat June 14 2008 16:37:11 Antonio Olivares wrote:
I have run old version of KDE 3.1 from Mandrake 9.1 gotten on internet, no
single update whatsoever, and I have been safe.  So it can be done, do you
mean other updates, that can be critical, with apps and not the desktop
here.

Some people manage to walk through a minefield without being blown up.
They were lucky, but not safe.

Security bugs have been fixed in web browsing, email, firewalls,
displaying pictures, viewing pdfs, and opening documents.  Without
those fixes your system may not have been compromised (but how to
be certain, eh?) but you certainly would not have been safe.

Meanwhile, back at the KDE ranch ...

--Mike Bird

I don't use KDE as a desktop, just use the applications in Gnome. So maybe this isn't true, but I think your argument falls apart as far as security goes. I expect no one at KDE will be maintaining 3.5. No more security patches, no more enhancements. All the work will be on 4.x from now on. I suggest sticking with Fedora 8 during its lifetime, and seeing how far KDE 4 gets in the meantime. There has already been an update on the KDE stuff in Fedora 9. In 6 months you might consider it usable.

This reminds me of the Vista / XP kerfuffle. I think that the Fedora team might be putting out releases because of a schedule, not because there are significant enhancements that are ready. Maybe they could slow the pace down by a month or two. That being said, I've had only two real problems in Fedora 9. The firefox/pdflush/kjournald contention issue that locks up any app doing disk IO, and a problem with the scsi driver that fails to read the superblock on my DVDRW most of the time. Every release has a few rough edges that get ground down until it is comfortable. I expect these to get resolved as well.

Good luck to you, whichever choice you make.