Re: [OT] Are security updates necessary?

On Sat June 14 2008 16:37:11 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have run old version of KDE 3.1 from Mandrake 9.1 gotten on internet, no
> single update whatsoever, and I have been safe.  So it can be done, do you
> mean other updates, that can be critical, with apps and not the desktop
> here.

Some people manage to walk through a minefield without being blown up.
They were lucky, but not safe.

Security bugs have been fixed in web browsing, email, firewalls,
displaying pictures, viewing pdfs, and opening documents.  Without
those fixes your system may not have been compromised (but how to
be certain, eh?) but you certainly would not have been safe.

Meanwhile, back at the KDE ranch ...

--Mike Bird