Re: /etc/init.d/*.* editing

Frank Murphy wrote:
I wan't change the startup order of some scripts.

network # chkconfig: 345 25 75
NetworkManager # chkconfig: - 98 02
netfs # chkconfig: 345 25 75

looking at them in gedit.

both netfs, network have the same runlevels.
The other numbers are the same,
"25 75", could be wrong but feel it's the reason
my cifs fail at boot.

25 is startup priority, 75 kill priority.
What I don't know is the limis of the numbers:
Should netfs be changed to # chkconfig: 345 40 75,
Would that ensure etch0 is up?

Frank

I have different values

network 10 90
NetworkManager 27 73
netfs 25 75

I have a WPA-protected wireless network and NetworkManager does not coexist with "network" nor "netfs".

On top of that you might want to have a look at the values for wpa_supplicant

wpa_supplicant 23 88

It makes no sense to me (why network starts before wpa_supplicant?)

Anyway, I have disabled NetworkManager and extended ifup-wireless to work with WPA and changed the priorities of wpa_supplicant to a more meaningful 9 91.

It looks to me that there are 2 different streams in the network:
1) the old style "ifup" where network goes up and down during boot, available to all users connected
2) a new "windows"-style where the network is enabled only when someone is connected to KDE and disabled on logoff.

I personally prefer 1), but I'd rather clean it.

Andrea