Re: howto use curl to get Internet IP

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 18:02 -0400, max wrote:
What approach would you suggest that is better to use ?
I have a DSL AP 2Wire783 in front of my  computer that does not have
the
capability of giving me the Internet IP.

You sure about that? I'll admit I have only used about 4 or 5
different dsl modems but all of them could be put in bridging mode.

I presume he uses NAT because he wants to, e.g. because he has more than
one machine and his ISP only issues a single IP, or for security.

OTOH it's likely that there is a way to scrape the modem's web control
page for the IP number without having to ping external addresses. Might
be a bit messy though.

Actually the cleanest solution is probably just to use a service such as
dyndns and register a domain name (the basic service is free), then just
look it up when you need to. It means installing ddclient, but it's in
the Fedora repos.

poc

Actually the cleanest solution is probably just to use a service such as
dyndns and register a domain name (the basic service is free), then just
look it up when you need to. It means installing ddclient, but it's in
the Fedora repos.

That exactly what I got but they don't like you checking for your Internet IP every hour or so it's
tying up their server.