Re: Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade

On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:36:37 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 15:12 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
	[....]
>> > Beartooth: Have you tried the vesa driver?  It worked with my nVidia
>> > laptop card when nothing else would (when F8 was released), except
>> > that it wouldn't turn off the backlight.  I haven't seen any progress
>> > on that bug (#351661) since I filed it last October.
>>
>> 	Vesa driver? I've seen the word during boot-ups on at least one
>> machine; but since it means nothing to me, I don't even recall which
>> machine. I'll be glad to try that or anything else I can; how do I do
>> it?
>
> I believe you can do this:
>
>         When you see the GRUB splash screen on boot, press a key.  >
>
>         Select
>         the top kernel line of the options offered and type 'e', select
>         the kernel line and type 'e'.  Append 'video=vesa' at the end of
>         the line.  Type [Enter], type 'b'.

	Will do, shortly. As you can see in detail in the thread on "X
doesn't start," at the moment I have that machine actually online; I've
just scp'd all of /home/btth/* onto this one (my #2), deleting like a
madman at the same time; I want to try to get /home/btth/.*, too, if I
can, before I reboot #1.

	Once that's done, I have a fallback: I can find some way to wipe
the whole Fedora hard drive without wiping the XP drive, install F8 onto
it cold, and scp the files I want back. Ahh, insurance!

> Then X should detect your video card as vesa, which is the most generic
> sort of interface.

	Aha -- makes lots of sense. And I would of course prefer, vastly,
to get F9 running properly. Maybe that *can* be done. In which case, of
course, I just delete the whole gleanings folder (or burn it to DVD, file
it away, and then delete it).

> If the machine boots, you can boot in runlevel 3 (edit the kernel line
> in GRUB as above, but instead of "video=vesa" add "3".

	Hmmm ... I realize edits in grub are temporary; so the
"video=vesa" won't be there, right?

> Then you'll get
> a virtual console to log into.

	Id est, a simple white on black command line, right?

> Then (as root) run
>
> 	system-config-display --reconfig
>
> and see if that helps.

	Oho! I didn't know that command had that option. Will do, with
bells on. Stay tuned.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0