Re: Anyone packaging SAGE math?

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>> The Main problem seems to be that they want to supply their own
>> versions of python, R, McCauley2, and just about every other piece of
>> related software.   I know they are trying to keep things in sync, but
>> this is ridiculous. Fedora has up to date versions of just about
>> everything.   If I could get just the SAGE part compiled against the
>> versions of R, python, and all those other libraries in Fedora, I hope
>> SAGE would not look so monstrously huge.
>
> That is a requirement to even get pass review.
>
> Rahul
>
> --

Well, I got an answer in the SAGE email list.

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/ad54d451b0da1dd1

There is a Fedora group now that has been thinking of SAGE, but I
think work is not progressing too quickly because of the contradiction
in philosophy between SAGE and Fedora.  Fedora wants the small
packages that work together, whereas the SAGE team wants to install
its own versions of Python and everything else.

The RPM for the PCLinuxOS for Sage 2.0.2 is about 500MB, by far the
biggest RPM I've ever heard of.  And the new version 3.0.1 would be 3x
as big, at least it is on my installed version that I just built.

I'm not getting much favorable response to the suggestion that SAGE
should have a configure script that looks at the system to use its
existing programs like Python or R.  They just say "nope" to that.

Maybe the Debian packaging group, which seems to be working harder on
this, will show us the path.

I may come back to the RPM packaging of SAGE at a later time.  I'll
try SAGE for a while on my PC, see if I find it useful.  I do have a
few mathematical questions I've been meaning to look into.  I heard
about this thing called Calculus and I'm dying to see what it's for :)
 I'm also interested to read the source code for Sage to see how they
handle communication between all of these different programs.  That
appears to be the truly staggering accomplishment of the whole thing,
as far as I can tell.

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson