Re: Anyone packaging SAGE math?

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Walter Jacob wrote:
>
>> Is anyone working on including SAGE in Fedora?  I think it is just about
>> the most useful math/science program for Linux so it would be a sin to not
>> include it.  It is useful enough that it has been a requirement for two of
>> my classes and highly recommended for others.  http://www.sagemath.org is
>> their website, developer forum at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-develand Trac site at
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/  Let me know if I can help in any way.
>
> yes, took a look at it awhile back.  Had to stop due to my eyes bleeding.
> Packaging this sanely will be a monumental task, but worthwhile
> nonetheless.
>
> -- Rex

I've been testing this and it is a bit ridiculous.  See why your eyes
bled. I built the whole thing today and the "binary install dir" is
1.6 gigabytes.  That might make for the biggest RPM I've ever heard
of.

The Main problem seems to be that they want to supply their own
versions of python, R, McCauley2, and just about every other piece of
related software.   I know they are trying to keep things in sync, but
this is ridiculous. Fedora has up to date versions of just about
everything.   If I could get just the SAGE part compiled against the
versions of R, python, and all those other libraries in Fedora, I hope
SAGE would not look so monstrously huge.  I wish SAGE had a configure
script in which the user could specify dependent libraries and monitor
the build situation.

I'm asking for info on the SAGE list.

pj

> --