F7 -> F9 preupgrade problems. Can't start X

I was running F7 (not up to date) on a Dell Optiplex GX650 and I downloaded and ran preupgrade. At first thins seemed to go well. It said that there was not enough space on the /boot partition to download stage2.img and that it would do it later.

So I rebooted and sure enough there was a message saying that it was retrieving stage2,img. Now the 1st problem. The install got stuck at that point. I tried rebooting a couple of times and left it at the prompt for an hour. Eventually I gave up and went home leaving the installer at the stage2.img message.

When I came in next morning, the install had gone to the next stage so I am guessing that the mirroe was just creeping along and it took many hours to complete the download.

The install finish and I rebooted. There wer no errors during booting but X did not start. The screen flashed for a wile at the text login prompt. In /var/log/messages there were hundreds of messages from gdm-simple-slave [DEBUG] finishing up with

gdm-binary [3410]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors.

So I did. Xorg.0.log shows:
(EE) No devices found
Fatal server error
no screens found

Here is my xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier   "Default Layout"
   Screen      0 "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice   "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
End Section

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Keyboard0"
   Driver       "kbd"
   Option     "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option     "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Videocard0"
   Driver   "i810"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Screen0"
   Device   "Videocard0"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection   "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth   24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Does anybody see anything wrong with this?

Thx
Steve