Re: fedora 9 pre release

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Funny, my browser thinks <200804181025.49438.lostson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> is the first mail in the thread. It isn't even yours!

Of course it isn't. I wouldn't be asking and answering at the same time. Mine was a reply as I have said before.

The first post
from you was <4808CFD2.1050805@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> which also contains no technical detail, just a link to a list of things which someone (again not you) thinks could be improved and a suggestion ("why do we need this in the default install?") that it not be run by default.

Follow the entire thread for more details.

Taking out something because it isn't perfect is like shooting your seeing eye dog because he has a sore paw.

Doesn't compare since as detailed in the thread, the tool causes more problems than it solves.

The administration tool (in alpha) did
not seem to want to marked the default card, and after each boot used whatever looks like a sound card on an HDTV Wonder. Probably because the modprobe doesn't seem to set card numbers, or ???

Did you file a bug report?

When I finish evaluating ubuntu if FC9 final is out I'll try the process again.

Sure. Note that the distribution doesn't ship a separate sound card configuration utility and have settled on pulse audio utilities originally shipped in Fedora 8.

Fedora has for a long time steadily moved away from distribution specific tools towards more cross distribution upstream projects that integrate with the desktop environment. This includes dropping of system-config-log (DE's grow their own log tools), system-config-mouse (legacy mouse configuration), deprecation of Kudzu (replacing it with HAL) and for Fedora 9, dropping system-config-soundcard (replaced by pulseaudio tools and other technologies like hotplug).

Rahul