Re: RHEC

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 23:35 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 11:13 +0200, Andrew Kelly wrote:
>
> > Oh and Ric, I cut my penguin teeth on Caldera. In fact, just last year I
> > retired a box running OC from 1998, which was still happily proxying a
> > small LAN to the world via ISDN dial-up. Time sure rips by, dunnit?
> Did you spend much time on the Caldera List??

Hmm, no, I didn't. That was a period where I was basically a lonely Don
Q. in a sea of windmills. My only friends were man pages, and sweeping
searches of what was then called Dejanews.
The only "list" I actually participated in back then was a usenet group
called misc.writing. I used it as sort of a combination of bar,
racquetball court and padded cell. Great times over there back then....
[sigh]

> Great crowd there. We had
> many good times. It was a real whoop-up when we all got together at the
> Red Hat Expo in the RTP that they used to hold. The last year, in 2000,
> I held the Hot Sauce eating contest where I spent 3 days smoking enough
> chicken wings for the contestants to eat the sauces on. I opined that
> the heavier the coder was, the more hot sauce they could consume, as
> some form of Wayward's Maxim. "Mad Dog Hall" led the pack with his
> contribution, straight capsin from a spray can that looked like a little
> fire extinguisher. You had to sign a release form to eat that stuff. No
> one seemed to notice that I had some brewskies tucked behind the
> contestant's table either.
>
> We video taped the event, but it got lost later when I gave it to a guy
> to digitize. Mad Dog stepped up as the announcer and did a helluva job!
> Time does rip by and they were gentler days on my poor brain! It's
> gotten tough just to keep up!! I wish I had that tape back, though. Ric

You've just verified that I was born about 5 years too late, and left
the US about 5 years too early. I could have easily been your team
mascot.

:-)

Andy