Re: FC6->FC7 Kernel Panic

Howard Wilkinson wrote:
  Tod wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:49:19 -0400, Tod wrote:

I'm attempting to upgrade one of my servers from FC6-FC7 on the way to FC8. I followed all the recommendations including the disk LABELs, etc and everything seemed to work. But once I rebooted I got a kernel panic because my /boot directory can't be found.

I have two IDE drives both LVM managed except for a small boot partition on the first drive. I can boot back to FC6 just fine, but get the kernel panic when I try the FC7 kernel. My grub.conf looks like this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.15-80.fc7)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/boot
         initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15-80.fc7.img

root=LABEL=/boot  clearly is wrong. The kernel root= parameter specifies
the system's root partition, but LABEL=/boot points to your
/boot partition instead, /dev/sda1 = (hd0,0).

Yes my mistake, see below.

title Fedora Core (2.6.22.14-72.fc6)
         root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.14-72.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 hdc=ide_scsi
         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.14-72.fc6.img

After the first time I booted I changed the FC7 kernel line, it originally looked the same as the FC6 line. That didn't help.

That's strange.

I guess it would be if I could type. The /boot label thing was just wrong, I don't know where I picked that up from. The original fc7 kernel line was:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 hdc=ide_scsi

... very _similar_ to the original fc6 line.

Its funny because the only thing that isn't volume managed is the /boot partition, which is labeled. My understanding was that LVM managed partitions don't require labeling.

I also thought I read that all drives were now treated as SCSI drives. With that in mind I tried removing hdc=ide_scsi to see if that would make any difference. That didn't really help either. But I can still boot up FC6 without a problem.

If anybody has any ideas I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

There was a problem with the dependency on LVM and/or the RAID drivers in the kernel installation on FC7, you had to rebuild the initrd to get the right drivers available on boot so that the root partition could be activated. I got round this by rebuilding initrd in the %post section of the kickstart before rebooting. You should be able to get round it by reinstalling the kernel package, it should detect the correct drivers now the system is built! Alternatively run mkinitrd for the new kernel and then reboot!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm burning the FC7 rescue image now to try mkinitrd. I almost wonder if it wouldn't just be better to yum my way up to FC8 instead? I can still boot to FC6 and getting to the latest release was my ultimate goal anyway...

Tod