Re: FC6->FC7 Kernel Panic

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:49:19 -0400, Tod wrote:

I'm attempting to upgrade one of my servers from FC6-FC7 on the way to FC8. I followed all the recommendations including the disk LABELs, etc and everything seemed to work. But once I rebooted I got a kernel panic because my /boot directory can't be found.

I have two IDE drives both LVM managed except for a small boot partition on the first drive. I can boot back to FC6 just fine, but get the kernel panic when I try the FC7 kernel. My grub.conf looks like this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.15-80.fc7)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/boot
         initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15-80.fc7.img

root=LABEL=/boot  clearly is wrong. The kernel root= parameter specifies
the system's root partition, but LABEL=/boot points to your
/boot partition instead, /dev/sda1 = (hd0,0).

Yes my mistake, see below.

title Fedora Core (2.6.22.14-72.fc6)
         root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.14-72.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 hdc=ide_scsi
         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.14-72.fc6.img

After the first time I booted I changed the FC7 kernel line, it originally looked the same as the FC6 line. That didn't help.

That's strange.

I guess it would be if I could type. The /boot label thing was just wrong, I don't know where I picked that up from. The original fc7 kernel line was:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 hdc=ide_scsi

... very _similar_ to the original fc6 line.

Its funny because the only thing that isn't volume managed is the /boot partition, which is labeled. My understanding was that LVM managed partitions don't require labeling.

I also thought I read that all drives were now treated as SCSI drives. With that in mind I tried removing hdc=ide_scsi to see if that would make any difference. That didn't really help either. But I can still boot up FC6 without a problem.

If anybody has any ideas I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.