Re: USB devices dissapear: HAL shuts down on it's own

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:25:46 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone
> > I am finally going to try to do something about this problem that I
> > have had at least with the last few releases of Fedora Core/Fedora.
> > I have four USB devices hooked up to this machine:
> > 1. Samsung ML-1250 Laser Printer (USB1)
> > 2. Iomega CD-RW External Burner (USB2)
> > 3. Epson Perfection 2400 Scanner (USB2)
> > 4. Logitech USB Keyboard (USB2) (This problem does not affect this
> > keyboard.)
> >
> > In brief, the first three devices sometimes "dissappear."  The way
> > that I used to find this out is that I would attempt to use one,
> > and it would not work.  So, I would then, as root, run "lsusb"  The
> > result would be that "lsusb" would hang and become a zombie
> > process.  The only way to get rid of it, of course, is to reboot.
> > Any attempts at accessing these devices after they have
> > "dissappeared" results in at least one zombie process that I have
> > to reboot to get rid of.

> You may want to run "lsusb -v" and look at the power numbers.
> Especially the numbers on the scanner and the CD-RW drive. It may be
> that you are drawing too much power for the USB socket or HUB, and
> the reboot is resetting the hubs.

Hello Mikkel
	I am not running a USB hub of any kind.  In fact, I have never
ran one before.  The printer plugs into a socket that is on a PCI/USB
expansion card. The other two devices are connected to two USB ports
that connect directly to the motherboard.
	I just had a thought and I changed a few things around.  I
plugged the scanner and the burner into the PCI expansion card, and
plugged the printer into a port right by where I plug my USB keyboard
into.  The thought was that the (probably) two problem devices have
always been in the ports that connect directly to the motherboard.  It
sure can't hurt to move them to different ports...
	This also might be of interest: I run a Abit KD7 motherboard
and an Antec TrueBlue power supply (either 480 or 520 watts.  Can't
remember off the top of my head.)

Also, here are links to the output of lsusb -v the way that my devices
were connected before I read your message:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/lsusb-1.txt

Here is a link to the same command after I plugged my devices in
different ports:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/lsusb-2.txt

The only thing that my relatively unlearned eyes see is this: the first
run of lsusb -v has this right at the beginning:
can't get debug descriptor: Connection timed out

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 04b8:011b Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 2400 Photo

The second run has the same warning, only it does not occur at the
beginning.  BUT, it does occur during the part about the same device
where it occured during the first run.  Could my scanner, which usually
just sits there plugged in but unused, may be the item drawing too much
power?  Just a Real Wild, Unlearned Guess...

Barring any great revelations from you or other members of this list,
if I have this issue again with our devices plugged into their new
locations, I will just unplug the scanner and see if it ever happens
again.  BUT, if the scanner is flaky, I would like to know so I can get
rid of it and get a new one :)

Thank you very much for your help thus far,
Steven P. Ulrick