Re: USB devices dissapear: HAL shuts down on it's own

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:25:46 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
Hello, Everyone
I am finally going to try to do something about this problem that I
have had at least with the last few releases of Fedora Core/Fedora.
I have four USB devices hooked up to this machine:
1. Samsung ML-1250 Laser Printer (USB1)
2. Iomega CD-RW External Burner (USB2)
3. Epson Perfection 2400 Scanner (USB2)
4. Logitech USB Keyboard (USB2) (This problem does not affect this
keyboard.)

In brief, the first three devices sometimes "dissappear."  The way
that I used to find this out is that I would attempt to use one,
and it would not work.  So, I would then, as root, run "lsusb"  The
result would be that "lsusb" would hang and become a zombie
process.  The only way to get rid of it, of course, is to reboot.
Any attempts at accessing these devices after they have
"dissappeared" results in at least one zombie process that I have
to reboot to get rid of.

You may want to run "lsusb -v" and look at the power numbers. Especially the numbers on the scanner and the CD-RW drive. It may be that you are drawing too much power for the USB socket or HUB, and the reboot is resetting the hubs.

Hello Mikkel
	I am not running a USB hub of any kind.  In fact, I have never
ran one before.  The printer plugs into a socket that is on a PCI/USB
expansion card. The other two devices are connected to two USB ports
that connect directly to the motherboard.

Try a different PCI USB card. You could have a motherboard problem, see if you can run some diagnostics on the board.

	I just had a thought and I changed a few things around.  I
plugged the scanner and the burner into the PCI expansion card, and
plugged the printer into a port right by where I plug my USB keyboard
into.  The thought was that the (probably) two problem devices have
always been in the ports that connect directly to the motherboard.  It
sure can't hurt to move them to different ports...
	This also might be of interest: I run a Abit KD7 motherboard
and an Antec TrueBlue power supply (either 480 or 520 watts.  Can't
remember off the top of my head.)

Remember that if the Power Supply says its 520 watts, that usually represents peak performance. Meaning your not usually getting 520 watts. Pay attention to the power supply, is it making any high pitched noises? that is a bad sign and if it is you should replace it ASAP. I had this problem but it was someone besides me that actually noticed the noise, I usually have music going so I didn't notice it.

Max