Re: network gateway with a foreign IP address

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:29 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> The problem:
> Company has switched over to FIOS and I have to move behind a
> router
> I will be behind a 10.0.0.1 LAN on a Cisco Router
> I will be configured with an outside address, let's say
> 70.xxx.xxx.120 for argument's sake
> Traffic to that address from the outside will be routed to my box
> inside the network by the Cisco
> I need to tell the box/outside NIC that its gateway is 10.0.0.1
> even though it's not an address within the IP/subnet that the
> NIC is configured for
>
> There are reasons for this
> Before you say it can't be done, google my subject line and
> you'll find this nice howto for Debian
> http://siddhesh.in/foreign-gateway.php
> I'm wondering if I need to pursue the route in that howto, or
> whether I can configure this with the system-config-network GUI
> in Fedora -- I see there's a 'Route' tab in there, but I've
> never used it

As that article intimates, this is poor design, though the author
obviously does not understand why....  And, since you insist....

Yes, you need to create a "host" static route as suggested in the
article.  No, system-config-network's Route Tab is designed to define
remote networks, not host/dev entries, so you are on your own in
"defining" it.  The file that probably makes the most sense to put the
entry in to is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0 (assuming this
is based on eth0).  Instead of the article's use of "up", you want to
look at the syntax of the "ip" command: ip route add ....

Good luck, cause I think you're going to need it....

--Rob