Re: [OT] HELP!!! mail attack

Alan Cox wrote:
It's clear that you're one of those admins who doesn't see a problem
with throwing out the real mail, so long as you get rid of all the spam
at the same time.  I wouldn't hire anyone with that attitude, it's
wilful sabotage.

It's solving the problem. Guess how internet routers solve packet
overload - they throw random packets away.

TCP is defined to allow that conduct and recover, UDP is defined as unreliable. Email is neither.

I run a business, I can't afford to lose a client, even a potential one,
because the mail got rejected, or the phone wasn't answered, etc.  I
know some of them won't retry, I know regular clients who won't retry, I
usually don't retry...

There is a difference between throwing email away without the
consent/permission of its owner and throwing it away with the consent.

Who is the owner? At what time does it become not the sender's but the recipient's? In snail mail, the postal service owns it between times and ownership changes when the mail changes hands. Someone sending mail might feel peeved at someone on the recipient's side "binning my email because some stupid twit couldn't see its value."

Oh, alright. People in .uk are used do some stupid twit "binning my email."

The people to whom I provide email are more than happy to lose the odd
real email so they don't have to read through all the spam and are far
more productive as a result.

Also your client case is a bit spurious, most people whitelist clients.

It's very hard to whitelist a client you haven't met yet, and if my email asking you for a quote bounces[1], figure on not doing business with me. It's happened, and businesses that get most of my discretionary spend are those whom I think do their jobs well.

[1] Similarly if your website's down, but that's a discussion for another time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait