Re: [OT] HELP!!! mail attack

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 05:12 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> My first 'defense' is greylisting, run as a policy in postfix.

Though do so with the knowledge that it may mean some mail never gets
delivered/accepted.  Greylisting, for both cases of rejecting spam and
accepting ham, requires the services sending to you to work in certain
way [1], and they don't all do that [2].

1. They reject the initial attempt, tell the sender to resend later, and
accept the resend.

2. Some senders never resend, causing mail to get lost permanently.
Some resends come from a different server, and that can get rejected,
too - causing long delays, or permanently lost mail.  Some resend
attempts come after a very long delay, which can be annoying or business
destroying, or can cause another reject.

I've experienced all of the above bad scenarios.

I read messages from the public lists.