Re: moving from Verizon DSL to Verizon FIOS

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

The speed is very good, the price is too and the network is super stable. What more can I ask for?

The freedom to use it.

You get what you pay for.

One thing Verizon does though is block the incoming http traffic, which means you can't run an http server on your machine and have people read your blog, say. First I thought they only block ports 80 and/or 8080, so I tried running httpd on a different, obscure port. No go. They ain't stooped. They block the http packets regardless of the destination port. The only way to beat that is through an ssh tunnel.

I can't see how the service is outstanding when they are blocking ports.
Is that something you have to pay extra to have them stop, or can you
tell them you know what you are doing and don't need to be protected from
having your machines added to a botnet?

They have business services too and these rates also look pretty good:
http://www22.verizon.com/content/businessfios/packagesandprices/packagesandprices.htm
They aren't in my area so I don't have the service, but I'd guess that even with the home/dynamic IP version they probably provide some hosted web space like Comcast does so you don't need to run a server from home. If not, there are plenty of places that will host a blog.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx