Re: moving from Verizon DSL to Verizon FIOS

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:50:15 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Have a box running FC2 which I use as a home server. I setup using an
> FAQ found on the tldp.org, using two NICs hooked to a Verizon-provided
> DSL modem.
>
> Verizon is wiring the neighborhood and premises (building complex in
> NYC) for FIOS with a vengeance. As yet, no TV service is offered, though
> there are parts of NJ and Long Island which have this service already.
>
> Once TV service is available (and competitive with cable) I'd like to
> flip from copper to fiberoptic and keeping a Fedora box to the duty of a
> router.
>
> Any suggestions, links in this regard?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@xxxxxxxxx

I have had FIOS for two years now in MD and I can tell it's outstanding.
Nothing can beat that (business class T3 and such is faster, but costs
way more). I never had a single network problem. The speed is fantastic.
I could have gotten tv speeds too (30M download, IIRC), but I don't watch
much tv, so I got the cheapest plan. For $35/mo I get 5M download 2M
upload (yes, that's right, 2M upload!). Compare that with some 4-5M
download and a whopping 30k upload for $60/mo with Comcast or the like.
Right after I installed it I wanted to upgrade to the next better plan
($40/mo for 15/2 M). I never bothered though.

The speed is very good, the price is too and the network is super stable.
What more can I ask for?

One thing Verizon does though is block the incoming http traffic, which
means you can't run an http server on your machine and have people read
your blog, say. First I thought they only block ports 80 and/or 8080, so
I tried running httpd on a different, obscure port. No go. They ain't
stooped. They block the http packets regardless of the destination port.
The only way to beat that is through an ssh tunnel.

Oh, and as for tv, there's hulu: www.hulu.com. Not a whole lot yet, and
certainly no live games, but worth mentioning and keeping an eye on.