Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes

thank you for the responses ... and Matthew I think it is getting
clearer now .... however you mention:

> you
>  probably have installed a caching nameserver.

i used the Bind Configuration tool; initially when it generates the
DNS records files, the configuration is caching nameserver;  however,
when I imported my hosts file, it automatically also created addition
zones which includes my domain - lab.mycompany.com.  I checked my
/etc/named.conf configuration against a sample configuration URL and
compared a "caching" vs "standard DNS" and it seems like I have the
standard DNS configured ...

can someone pls confirm that the info I am following is correct?
(source: http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/dns.html#common)

1.  CACHING:
===========
/etc/named.conf(CACHING ONLY Configuration)
#----------------------------------------------
#This file must be named named.conf and be in /etc
#It is used by the "named" daemon to determine the basic configuration
and what files contain the details

options { #Global DNS settings

directory "/var/named"; #tells DNS to use the listed directory for
other config files
#forward first; #check the "forwarders" before doing any resolution
#forwarders { # list of domain servers the check ("local" DNS)

#10.150.22.7; #internal DNS server for company

#};

};

zone "." { #Settings for the ROOT ZONE

type hint; #Specifies this as the ROOT ZONE type
file "root.hints"; #File that containing links to the ROOT SERVERS
(/var/named/root.hints)

};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" { #Used for reverse lookup (ie IP Address to Name)
#notice it is your network address backwards+"in-addr.arpa"
#So this is for 127.0.0 network

type master; #Specifies this as a MASTER ZONE
file "pz/127.0.0"; #File that contains the details for this zone
(/var/named/pz/127.0.0)

};

2.  STANDARD:
=============
/etc/named.conf(Standard Configuration)
#----------------------------------------------
#This file must be named named.conf and be in /etc
#It is used by the "named" daemon to determine the basic configuration
and what files contain the details

options { #Global DNS settings

directory "/var/named"; #tells named where to find the rest of the config files

#10.150.22.7; #internal DNS server for company

#};

};

zone "." { #Settings for the ROOT ZONE

type hint; #Specifies this as the ROOT ZONE type
file "root.hints"; #File that containing links to the ROOT SERVERS
(/var/named/root.hints)

};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" { #Used for reverse lookup (ie IP Address to Name)
#notice it is your network address backwards+"in-addr.arpa"
#So this is for 127.0.0 network

type master; #Specifies this as a MASTER ZONE
file "pz/127.0.0"; #File that contains the details for this zone
(/var/named/pz/127.0.0)

};

zone "e-i-s.cc" { #Your zone name (domain name)

notify no; # notify is used with master/slave DNS servers. Not
necessary for one DNS svr.
type master; # Specify this as a MASTER ZONE
file "pz/e-i-s.cc"; #File that contains details for this zone
(/var/named/pz/e-i-s.cc)

};

zone "10.133.10.in-addr.arpa" { #Again-Reverse Lookup

type master; #Again-MASTER ZONE
file "pz/10.133.10"; #Again-Details file. (/var/named/pz/10.133.10)

};

--
best,

Vince