Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes

vincenzo romero wrote:
thank you for the responses ... and Matthew I think it is getting
clearer now .... however you mention:

you
 probably have installed a caching nameserver.

i used the Bind Configuration tool; initially when it generates the
DNS records files, the configuration is caching nameserver;  however,
when I imported my hosts file, it automatically also created addition
zones which includes my domain - lab.mycompany.com.  I checked my
/etc/named.conf configuration against a sample configuration URL and
compared a "caching" vs "standard DNS" and it seems like I have the
standard DNS configured ...

So far as I can tell, and Ive been using RHL and its successors since RHL 3.0.3, "caching nameserver" is a term invented by RH.

Whatever, it describes a name server that is authoritative for no zones. Generally speaking, every DNS caches. _My_ DSNs are responsible for some domains such as office.lan, demo.roon and so on, may refer to other nameservers I maintain and either refer to my IAP's DNS for public Internet details or go directly to the root servers.

/etc/resolv.conf can by maintained by DHCP client software where computers are connected to a LAN running a DCP server (including ADSL and cable routers), by PPP client software, and by user configuration tools (including vim) where DHCP and PPP are not used.

can someone pls confirm that the info I am following is correct?
(source: http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/dns.html#common)

For documentation, read the ISC stuff. Other stuff if you need, but always read the ISC documentation. It's complete an accurate, but tageted at professionals, Also, read the RHEL documentation - it's probably less complete, but a good start and consistent with the RH/Fedora implementations.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait