Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 15:21 -0700, vincenzo romero wrote:
> thank you for the responses ... and Matthew I think it is getting
> clearer now .... however you mention:
>
> > you
> >  probably have installed a caching nameserver.
>
> i used the Bind Configuration tool; initially when it generates the
> DNS records files, the configuration is caching nameserver;  however,
> when I imported my hosts file, it automatically also created addition
> zones which includes my domain - lab.mycompany.com.  I checked my
> /etc/named.conf configuration against a sample configuration URL and
> compared a "caching" vs "standard DNS" and it seems like I have the
> standard DNS configured ...
>
> can someone pls confirm that the info I am following is correct?
> (source: http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/dns.html#common)
>
> 1.  CACHING:
> ===========
> /etc/named.conf(CACHING ONLY Configuration)
> #----------------------------------------------
> [...]

I'm no bind expert, so I can't really comment.  But caching nameserver
seems to be the default configuration provided by the bind package in
F8.

        $ sudo cat /etc/named.conf
        //
        // named.caching-nameserver.conf
        //
        // Provided by Red Hat caching-nameserver package to configure the
        // ISC BIND named(8) DNS server as a caching only nameserver
        // (as a localhost DNS resolver only).
        //
        // See /usr/share/doc/bind*/sample/ for example named configuration files.
        //
        // DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - use system-config-bind or an editor
        // to create named.conf - edits to this file will be lost on
        // caching-nameserver package upgrade.
        //

        options {
                listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; };
                listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
                directory       "/var/named";
                dump-file       "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
                statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
                memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
                allow-query     { localhost; };
                recursion yes;
        };

        logging {