Re: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Markus Kesaromous wrote:
I am truly puzzled by these reports of success!!
I just finished cloning /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdc1
sdc1 is larger, so I did ntfsresize.
So far so good.

Thing is, sdc1 is a USB HD (with bios support).
Even though bios is configured to boot off of USB first, CD next and built-in HD last,
It still boots off of the built in drive. Only way I can force it to boot
off of USB HD is to get into bios and disable the built-in drive (set to not-installed)
and reboot - then bios will boot off of the USB drive.

However, windows still will not boot! It gives me a splash screen of windows logo,
then reboots.
Is there something in windows that insists that the drive be on same controller
as it was when first installed?

Markus

Try booting Windows in the safe mode. I don't know if the safe mode still uses the BIOS for all disk access, but it did in older versions of Windows. From there, you will have to figure out how to change the drivers Windows is using to access the drive, and change them to use the USB drive. I don't know if this is even possible... You might search for how to make Windows run from a CD and see if those instructions help.

Mikkel