Re: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
     Dear friends,

  I need to copy the hard disk of a Windows computer to a new hard
disk of equal size. I was thinking of connecting both drives
(SATA/150), booting from the Fedora 8 Rescue Disk and then do

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

  in hope that after that, the second hard disk can be used in place
of the first one (including booting Windows, of course).

  Does this work? Thanks!

It probably will work[1], but I would worry that the disks' gemoetries may differ a little. Not all 120Gbyte drives have the same number of cylinders.

I copy Windows immmoderately often. My preferred tool is a bootable CD including ntfs-progs - think the latest Knoppix.

ntfsclone does an excellent job of copying a partition.
If you need to change a partition's size, there's ntfsresize.

I'd probably copy (extremely carefully) the first sector with dd, then use hdparm to make Linux reread the partition table on the target drive.

To be safe, I might resize the source partition(s) to a little smaller using ntfsresize.

Then copy with ntfsclone, and resize again at the destination to make sure the data fit snugly into the partition.

[1] I used dd to copy an 80 Gbyte drive to a 320 Gbyte drive. I'm happy with the results, but then if it went wrong I know what to try next. It would not work if the target drive was even one sector shorter. Depending on partitioning.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait