Re: Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM, John W. Linville <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 01:25:13PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
 > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:54 AM, John W. Linville <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > I'm posting this message to no one in particular, in hopes that it
 > >  becomes part of the common lore...
 > >
 >  I'm a little hurt.  I read it as being specifically intended for me. :)

 I was trying not to pick on you!  Believe me, you are not the first...

 > After turning off the wpa_supplicant service, (making sure network is
 > off too), and turning on NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher,
 > and restarting, I found that after I ran the user program "nm-applet"
 > , I could join some wireless networks today.

 Excellent news!

More success to report. NM does join me to 2 different WEP networks
that it was never able to join before. Key appears to be turning off
wpa_supplicant service.  That is the only difference I tried this
time.

Okay, I know some people still use WEP at home, but with wpa_supplicant out, can you still connect to normal business networks?

Spread the word.  NM can work!

PJ

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>