Re: Install question #2 - disk order and video mode

Chris Snook wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
The FC8 install seems to assign drive identifiers in some random order instead of BIOS order. I thought that was fixed back around 2.6.17, but it certainly isn't the case AFAIK, if I boot the rescue CD I get one set of assignments (not BIOS order), and if I boot I get another. Needless to say this makes getting a bootable install nearly impossible.

Device scanning is asynchronous now, and drives may come up in *any* order, potentially changing even across reboots even with no changes to software or hardware. This is why we use labels and uuids.

I see nothing in the description of grub.conf which indicates that these can be used, it seems to want things like (hd3,0) and similar. The problem I'm hitting is that the associated drive "3,0" is not the same drive on every boot. It is either the PATA drive on the primary of the first motherboard controller, OR the primary of the first controller on the PCI Promise controller. At least once in 25-30 boots the partition type was a5 (FreeBSD) which means it was on the VIA RAID controller (JBOD mode) in the pluggable drive bay.

If there's some trick to getting grub to look at lebals or uuid I am missing it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>