Re: Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Todd Zullinger escreveu:
Tom Diehl wrote:
I have NM working on my laptop but when I boot it does not start
automatically.  I have to start it manually. It is enabled in
chkconfig. Once it is running the wireless works mostly. It
sometimes drops the connection but telling NM to reconnect gets the
connection working again. The card is madwifi.

What does "chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network"
output?  I believe you want to see this:

NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

This should get a little easier in F9, since NetworkManager should run
by default[1] and the network init script will not.  So the default
should make it much easier for people to follow John's suggestion to
try NM first.

I have both NetworkManager and network autostarting, but the wireless entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is set to ONBOOT=no. Both wireless and eth0 work peachy. I will certainly keep it that way when I upgrade to F9+.

As an aside, the native Fedora driver for my Atheros (Acer Aspire 5570Z) didn't work. I had to blacklist the module and install madwifi from Livna.