Re: sendmail/mail

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
This is true, but "localhost.localdomain" won't work.

The only thing I did in sendmail.cf, after finding it in one of those user forums, is change

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp, Name=MTA
and restart sendmail

This lets your sendmail accept connections from outside to receive mail. I thought your problem was that you were trying to send, but the remote was rejecting your invalid domain name. You need 2 valid addresses for internet email, one for the destination and one for the sender.

The first way was rejecting all mail. They even gave us some smtp address (smtp.company.net)
but that got rejected too.

Many ISPs require you to forward email through their relay instead of connecting directly to destination servers for delivery, and many, if not most destinations will reject direct connections from home-type cable or dsl endpoints because there is so much spam from them. See the SMART_HOST entry in your sendmail.mc if you need to let your ISP forward for you.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx