Re: Audio / TV problem

max bianco wrote:

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx <mailto:davidsen@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have some ATI "HDTV Wonder" cards which I would like to use for video
    capture. The problem is that on all of the systems in which I would like
    to use the card, it somehow interferes with the audio, such that I lose
    the audio capability, and alsamixer only shows the cx88 capture function
    of the card.

    I could live with that if the capture were good, but it seems garbled,
    and recording a short section of the content captured gives very low
    quality audio results. I've done capture with xawtv and ffmpeg, and I
    can just play the captured audio over the network to another machine
    with sound, no configuration changes needed.

    I can put the card in other machines and it works perfectly, with the
    limitation that the machines in which it works are servers, not
    something I can use for casual things.

    If anyone has a thought on making this work, I'll give it a look. Since
    it happens on three machines, I didn't post a lot of dmesg stuff,
    without the TV card the usual sound hardware shows up, with the card
    dmesg shows no indication that normal audio even exists.

    All machines, working and not, use the built-in audio on the
    motherboard.

 Do the machines on which it doesn't work have a chipset in common?

Not a bit, mix of Celeron, K7, and early pre-HT P4, various on board audio chipsets. And all work with other video boards, it's just the HD board which is a problem. I have three NTSC cards which work just fine.

What about the machines on which it does work?different chipset?same chipset?

One P4 with HT, one E6600 Core Duo.

It works only on servers? maybe a service that needs to be up and running is not or some other service is possibly interfering? Compare running services on the servers and workstations?Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Off hand I'd say thanks for the questions, but the answers aren't all that revealing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>