Audio / TV problem

I have some ATI "HDTV Wonder" cards which I would like to use for video capture. The problem is that on all of the systems in which I would like to use the card, it somehow interferes with the audio, such that I lose the audio capability, and alsamixer only shows the cx88 capture function of the card.

I could live with that if the capture were good, but it seems garbled, and recording a short section of the content captured gives very low quality audio results. I've done capture with xawtv and ffmpeg, and I can just play the captured audio over the network to another machine with sound, no configuration changes needed.

I can put the card in other machines and it works perfectly, with the limitation that the machines in which it works are servers, not something I can use for casual things.

If anyone has a thought on making this work, I'll give it a look. Since it happens on three machines, I didn't post a lot of dmesg stuff, without the TV card the usual sound hardware shows up, with the card dmesg shows no indication that normal audio even exists.

All machines, working and not, use the built-in audio on the motherboard.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>