Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

Henning Larsen wrote:

 Considering the original intent if the project, and all the years that
 have passed since it's inception, I don't think that their achievements
 have been remarkable. I guess KDE and Gnome proved to be too fast moving
 targets to keep up on two fronts.

 I really wish they had succeeded!
Why?

because it would be nice to install one package if we want one program,
and remove one package to get rid of that program.

I think you understand that argument.

There are two ways to accomplish that. One is to use the same shared libraries as everything else so they will already be there - and will be more efficient. But with different projects working independently, that's not going to happen.

The other way is to link everything statically so it drags along its own copy of everything it needs. That's even less efficient than having a few 'sets' of library toolkits that groups of programs share.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx