Re: Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 15:01 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I do wish I had the choice to have a gnome free (as in `rpm -qa | grep
> gnome` returns no results).

I wish the opposite, KDE free...  But leaving that war aside for the
moment, it is annoying anytime that you come across an application that
depends on you having a particular GUI system.  Even more so when you
don't have it installed.  It'd be far less annoying if it could just
draw windows, use sound, etc., etc., from whatever system you're using.

In the past I'd had a bit of a play with some of the more lightweight
window managers, only to discover how pointless that was the moment you
fired up some application that made use of Gnome or KDE.  You had a big
wait while all that baggage was loaded.  And it makes your system
sluggish, negating the benefit of using a lighter weight system.  Not to
mention if you fired up an application that decided it needed to take
over your desktop.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.