Re: A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Mark C. Allman wrote:
As I've said before, running, rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, will show if the
package is installed, or Yumex will will also show if it's installed, or if you use apt, and synaptic, synaptic will show if the package is installed.

Sorry. I'm not trying to wind you up, but just trying to find out if pulseaudio is enabled. It's causing a lot of problems for some folks, and disabling it just gets the sounds back.

Nigel.

[mcallman@prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep ulse
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8

[mcallman@prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep audio
gnome-audio-2.0.0-4
portaudio-19-3.fc8
audiofile-devel-0.2.6-7.fc8
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-5.fc8
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
audiofile-0.2.6-7.fc8
.
}

[mcallman@prez tmp]$ amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Is there detailed documentation in an Alsa source that defines what all
goes into asound.conf?  As I've said all along, I'm just looking for
ideas on what to dig into to diagnose and fix this.  I'm not expecting
you all on the list to do the work!

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP

rpm -q -a | grep ulse
gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.4.svn20070924.fc8.i386
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc9.i386
pulseaudio-core-libs-0.9.8-5.fc9.i386
akode-pulseaudio-2.0.2-5.fc9.i386

rpm -q -a | grep audio
audiofile-0.2.6-7.fc8.i386
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2-1.fc9.1.i386
gnome-audio-2.0.0-4.noarch
portaudio-19-5.fc9.i386
audiofile-devel-0.2.6-7.fc8.i386
libcdaudio-0.99.12p2-8.fc7.i386
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc9.i386
gallery2-mp3audio-2.2.4-2.fc9.noarch
pulseaudio-core-libs-0.9.8-5.fc9.i386
akode-pulseaudio-2.0.2-5.fc9.i386

cat /etc/asound.conf
cat: /etc/asound.conf: No such file or directory

My sound is working, so asound probably is not critical.

Modprobe probably is but would not look like mine. It is pasted below.

 cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 natsemi
alias scsi_hostadapter pata_ali
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451