Re: A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

On Friday 15 February 2008 20:32, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 20:09 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Sound works using:
> > >     Pidgin
> > >     VLC (playing Rush/Tom Sawyer right now)
> > >     RealAudio
> > >
> > > It does not work for:
> > >     gnome-cd (won't start a track)
> > >     grip (starts reading tracks, but no sound)
> > >     aplay/arecord ("no soundcard found")
> > >     Flash in Firefox
> > >     system-config-soundcard (everything's there--just no sound!!)
> > >
> > > I can pipe a ".au" file (if I remember the extension correctly)
> > > to /dev/audio and I hear it.
> > >
> > > Some "/proc/asound" stuff:
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ ls /proc/asound/
> > >     card0 cards devices hwdep Intel modules oss pcm seq timers version
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> > >      0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> > >                           HDA Intel at 0xdfffc000 irq 21
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ ls /proc/asound/card0
> > >     codec#0  codec#1  id  oss_mixer  pcm0c  pcm0p  pcm1p
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
> > >     00-01: STAC92xx Digital : STAC92xx Digital : playback 1
> > >     00-00: STAC92xx Analog : STAC92xx Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/modules
> > >     0 snd_hda_intel
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ cat /proc/asound/devices
> > >       2:        : timer
> > >       3:        : sequencer
> > >       4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
> > >       5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> > >       6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> > >       7: [ 0- 1]: hardware dependent
> > >       8: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
> > >       9: [ 0]   : control
> > >     [mcallman@prez X11]$ ls -ld /proc/asound/Intel
> > >     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2008-02-14 20:18 /proc/asound/Intel ->
> > > card0
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be welcome.  If any of the Alsa development folks
> > > would like a test bed to try out ideas just let me know.
> > >
> > > -- Mark C. Allman
> >
> > Hi Mark. I know I've got pulseaudio on the brain, as I had problems with
> > it, and disabled it, but have you got the default install of F8, where
> > pulseaudio is enabled? I ask because of the sound apps that you have
> > working. Realplayer uses OSS, VLC uses natively OSS, or Alsa, and also
> > Gnomes ESD. Not sure about Pidgin (Gaim), but I believe it uses OSS for
> > it's sounds. Puzzling why Alsa apps won't work.
> >
> > If you havn't messed with pulseaudio since installing F8, I think I'd do
> > a: yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >
> > having done that I'd see if now aplay, audio cd's, etc work.
> >
> > Enough for now.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> The only PulseAudio package I have installed is
> pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.  It's needed for
> libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.

Hi Marc. Sorry for the delay in replying. I spent a while today going back
through the alsa-devel archives, and the only reference to the Dell XPS 1710,
was one for the Dell XPS M1710w (which may well be the same machine), and was
to do with a problem with the subwoofer not working with the alsa 1.0.14
driver, and on a Suse install. See below for the thread.
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-August/subject.html

I'll contact the guy directly, after you've replied to this post, to see if he
had any problems with getting sound working on his machine. I'd like to
clarify some things with you first though.

First, and I hate to say the word, but pulseaudio. I know you have removed
most of the pulseaudio packages, but would you confirm that the
"alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" package is no longer installed. Yumex should show
if it's installed, or rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.

Secondly, and just out of interest, do you have access to alsamixer on the
command line?

Thirdly. You have model options for snd-hda-intel set as model=toshiba. From
the ALSA-configuration.txt file, that's in the alsa driver tarball, I see the
following model options, including one for the Dell XPS M1710
(model=dell-m23). It's worth trying that one, as it seems pretty specific.
See below for the full list of options. (It's for the 1.0.15 alsa driver)

STAC9200
   ref  Reference board
   dell-d21 Dell (unknown)
   dell-d22 Dell (unknown)
   dell-d23 Dell (unknown)
   dell-m21 Dell Inspiron 630m, Dell Inspiron 640m
   dell-m22 Dell Latitude D620, Dell Latitude D820
   dell-m23 Dell XPS M1710, Dell Precision M90
   dell-m24 Dell Latitude 120L
   dell-m25 Dell Inspiron E1505n
   dell-m26 Dell Inspiron 1501
   dell-m27 Dell Inspiron E1705/9400
   gateway Gateway laptops with EAPD control

> The OSS packages I have installed:
>    alsa-oss-libs-1.0.14-3.fc8
>    nss_compat_ossl-0.9.2-3.fc8
>    alsa-oss-1.0.14-3.fc8