Re: A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 19:01 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008 20:32, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> > > Hi Mark. I know I've got pulseaudio on the brain, as I had problems with
> > > it, and disabled it, but have you got the default install of F8, where
> > > pulseaudio is enabled? I ask because of the sound apps that you have
> > > working. Realplayer uses OSS, VLC uses natively OSS, or Alsa, and also
> > > Gnomes ESD. Not sure about Pidgin (Gaim), but I believe it uses OSS for
> > > it's sounds. Puzzling why Alsa apps won't work.
> > >
> > > If you havn't messed with pulseaudio since installing F8, I think I'd do
> > > a: yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> > >
> > > having done that I'd see if now aplay, audio cd's, etc work.
> > >
> > > Enough for now.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > The only PulseAudio package I have installed is
> > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.  It's needed for
> > libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.
>
> Hi Marc. Sorry for the delay in replying. I spent a while today going back
> through the alsa-devel archives, and the only reference to the Dell XPS 1710,
> was one for the Dell XPS M1710w (which may well be the same machine), and was
> to do with a problem with the subwoofer not working with the alsa 1.0.14
> driver, and on a Suse install. See below for the thread.
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-August/subject.html
>
> I'll contact the guy directly, after you've replied to this post, to see if he
> had any problems with getting sound working on his machine. I'd like to
> clarify some things with you first though.
>
> First, and I hate to say the word, but pulseaudio. I know you have removed
> most of the pulseaudio packages, but would you confirm that the
> "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" package is no longer installed. Yumex should show
> if it's installed, or rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.
>
> Secondly, and just out of interest, do you have access to alsamixer on the
> command line?
>
> Thirdly. You have model options for snd-hda-intel set as model=toshiba. From
> the ALSA-configuration.txt file, that's in the alsa driver tarball, I see the
> following model options, including one for the Dell XPS M1710
> (model=dell-m23). It's worth trying that one, as it seems pretty specific.
> See below for the full list of options. (It's for the 1.0.15 alsa driver)
>
> STAC9200
>    ref  Reference board
>    dell-d21 Dell (unknown)
>    dell-d22 Dell (unknown)
>    dell-d23 Dell (unknown)
>    dell-m21 Dell Inspiron 630m, Dell Inspiron 640m
>    dell-m22 Dell Latitude D620, Dell Latitude D820
>    dell-m23 Dell XPS M1710, Dell Precision M90
>    dell-m24 Dell Latitude 120L
>    dell-m25 Dell Inspiron E1505n
>    dell-m26 Dell Inspiron 1501
>    dell-m27 Dell Inspiron E1705/9400
>    gateway Gateway laptops with EAPD control

> [...]
For pulseaudio:
    The only PulseAudio package I have installed is
    pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.

For option values in modprobe:  I tried all ("all") the dell values.
Someone earlier said they used "toshiba" even though their laptop wasn't
a Toshiba, so I thought I'd try it.  No luck, of course.

alsamixer:
    [mcallman@prez tmp]$ alsamixer

    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such
    file or directory

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution