Re: Run app as root in X

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 11:26 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Henning Larsen wrote:

> > want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
> > would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.
>

> Open a terminal window and type:
> su -
> then enter the root password.  You can also set thing up so you can:
> sudo su -
> either without a password or with your own password instead of root's.
> The trailing - means to pick up the login environment so you'll have the
> right PATH, etc.
>
> You can then use all command line tools as root in this window or start
> X programs by typing their names.  Keep in mind that you aren't limited
> to just editing config files in this mode.  You can do anything with
> root permissions.

OK, I know all this, and it is the way I do things today.
What I want is a folder on my desktop with links to several config files
for easier configuration.

The solution I have so far is to create a launcher on the gnome desktop,
for the command:
	kdesu gedit /path/to/file/name
It works ok, but I wish I did not have to install lots of kde to make it
work.

I can use a bash script file with:
	su -c 'gedit /path/to/file/name'
which is better.

I have a dream :)
Is it possible to make a folder as root, make links to all the config
files, and open that folder using a su command (as regular user) and be
able to edit the files that way?
I must try that one.

Henning Larsen