Re: Burn CD from Command Line?

Antonio Olivares wrote:

The users also have the option of getting the original
cdrecord and install it on their systems if they want.

Cdrecord page:
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

Cdrtools
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

k3b finds both wodim/cdrecord and use the one that
works best for you.  That way if wodim is not doing
the job, you can bring in the original cdrecord and
burn your cd's.  The wodim/icedax/genisoimage were
created from old sources of cdrtools which were then
GPL, but then were changed to another license which
triggered the emergence of cdrkit(which includes
wodim/icedax/genisomage).
I was going to say something similar, if you are going to use something called cdrecord, use the real thing. In most cases the wodim package parts will work well enough, but I find fewer "learning experiences" with the real thing. For DVD I would use growisofs, and for CD at least look at cdrskin, which is a real project, not a hack of cdrecord.

Note: cdrecord must be run as root (or setuid), whines about using actual device names instead of some pseudo-SCSI numerology the author likes, and advises to drop back to kernel 2.4 because 2.6 is garbage. Ignore it all, the software works the nuts and you can edit out the junk messages in the source if you care.

If you create VCD or SVCD you really want real cdrecord if you want working burns.

CD burning can be discussed on the cdwrite M/L at other.debian.org if you have questions not related to Fedora particularly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>