Re: dual boot- Linux and Windows- Toshiba laptop...

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:35 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> am going to install Fedora 8.
>
> I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> method is to do this?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Preston

Hello Preston,

I recently setup a new Toshiba laptop to dual boot Vista & Fedora. You
didn't mention which version of Windows your laptop has now but be very
careful how you go about it if you're using Vista.

In the past, I have successfully re-partitioned several drives using
Knoppix or the "Ultimate Boot CD" on earlier versions of Windows so I
didn't anticipate any real problems this time. Vista (Ultimate version)
has a partitioning tool so I thought I'd give it a try. To make a long
story short, the tool did the re-partitioning but Windows wouldn't boot
after and the System Recovery disks wouldn't work either. I was able to
get the Recovery disk to work by repairing the drive with other tools -
so my advice is: Since your Windows is broken (normal?) anyway, create a
new, smaller partition first, leaving enough unallocated space for
Fedora. The Toshiba recovery cd will allow you to re-install Vista on
the smaller drive. Then install Fedora in the unused space.

Good luck,
Fred