Run app as root in X

Hello

I want to make a folder on my desktop, containing links to several
config files I need to be root to edit.

I have been able to create launchers in gnome which open a terminal
prompting for password, but I would like a better way.

I tried to change permissions of the links, but that change the
permission on the linked file.

Is there any way to do su in X?

What I want is a folder containing some conf files (links) and be
prompted for root's password when i open them, or save them. What is the
best way to do this?

Henning Larsen