Re: USB external hard drive disconnecting

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

Pardon following up to myself, but something just occurred to me.  I
was thinking that autofs would be beneficial in that it would allow
the drive to go to sleep, if that's what it was doing.  (It gets
pretty hot when always on, for one thing.)  Autofs would just wake it
up when needed.  But now I'm realizing that if it goes to sleep, it'll
probably disconnect, the kernel will lose any knowledge of it, and
autofs won't be able to wake it up after all.  I guess I still need to
prevent it from going to sleep.  Harumph!

reid

How hot is "pretty hot"? Is it possible that the drive electronics are overheating? You might need a better external case.

It would be nice if you could change the power save settings of the drive, but I have not figured out how to do that on a USB connected drive. I wish I could be of more help...

Mikkel