Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:

> If someone asks about backing up 1TB of data to 4.5GB disks, I am going to
> make the assumption until proven wrong that they really do know what they are
> asking.  Now, when or if they prove that they really didn't know what they
> were asking the situation changes.  But 'practicality' is in the eye of the
> beholder (in which case, a 'lens' is an adroit analogy).  As one of my
> favorite quotes goes, 'there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.'
> Or, in geekspeak, ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.  Or something
> like that.

Having been in the position of asking "How do I do that"
and being told "Don't do that", I approve.
One of the unimformatives even commented
on the amount of time the thread was taking.

> But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
> or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?

I can think of better reasons for insisting on DVDs.
He wanted a write-once medium.
He is already wrestling with a policy that requires CDs
and might even have been sensible when it was enacted.
He wanted protection from EMP.
He wanted, on general principles,
a medium different in kind from the original.
He wanted a medium different in kind from those
DDS3 tapes that he couldn't read after a few years.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)