Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Saturday 09 February 2008, Craig White wrote:
> we all see things through our own lenses and mathematically it is
> impractical to consider backing up 1,000 units in 4.5 unit chunks when
> so many other mechanisms exist that can chunk in much larger increments.

That was up to the OP to decide, not the folks on this list.  Giving a 'well,
this tool, scdbackup, will do what you want, but backing up 1TB on 4.5GB
disks isn't really practical' is much more helpful and much less
confrontational.  No?  It took me all of one minute to get the google string
right to find this tool.

> Clearly it is not unusual to get
> the answers that he got simply because our lenses always consider
> practicality and his question didn't make it clear enough that he wasn't
> at all concerned with practicality.

If someone asks about backing up 1TB of data to 4.5GB disks, I am going to
make the assumption until proven wrong that they really do know what they are
asking.  Now, when or if they prove that they really didn't know what they
were asking the situation changes.  But 'practicality' is in the eye of the
beholder (in which case, a 'lens' is an adroit analogy).  As one of my
favorite quotes goes, 'there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.'
Or, in geekspeak, ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.  Or something
like that.

But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?

> I did suggest bacula because I know it is capable of doing what he asked
> but I can't in all honesty suggest that it is a practical solution to
> backing up a 1 Tb of data onto DVD's.

He did correct to 50GB, which is practical (IMO) for infrequent DVD-based
backup, being twelve DVDs or so.  Bacula is a good solution as well; I
suggested scdbackup simply because it is simple and can chunk the files so
that each individual DVD is readable without being in a set, if need be.

> Perhaps you are confusing the notion that those who answered his
> question with practical assertions were demonstrating concern over the
> premise of practicality and not arrogance.

It is arrogant IMHO to assume that my practicality is the same as yours,
regardless of whether it is my assumption or yours.  YMMV.

For example, it is very practical for me to use racks with bottom ventilation
here; but that only works because I have 30,000 square feet of raised floor
and the tonnage to cool it.  Others would find bottom-vent RFI-resistant
racks unsuitable, no doubt.

Another example: it is extremely practical for most companies to use something
like a Cisco 7921G to meet wide area mobile VoIP telephony requirements.  But
not PARI.  We are working on an interferometer system for our two 26 meter
radio telescopes that will be observing in the 2.2-2.3GHz range; bye-bye
802.11b/g/n.  In fact, radio telescopy (a key part of our core business)
eliminates BlueTooth and other wireless solutions, too.  Practicality is in
the eye of the beholder.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu