Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Michael Hennebry wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:

If someone asks about backing up 1TB of data to 4.5GB disks, I am going to
make the assumption until proven wrong that they really do know what they are
asking.  Now, when or if they prove that they really didn't know what they
were asking the situation changes.  But 'practicality' is in the eye of the
beholder (in which case, a 'lens' is an adroit analogy).  As one of my
favorite quotes goes, 'there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.'
Or, in geekspeak, ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.  Or something
like that.

Having been in the position of asking "How do I do that"
and being told "Don't do that", I approve.

But anyone can google and get a list of programs and procedures. When you ask on a mailing list you get (and should expect) collective experience instead. You can still choose to ignore the advice, but don't discount its value. When people who have tried it say "don't do that" learning the same from your own experience is the hard way to go.

One of the unimformatives even commented
on the amount of time the thread was taking.

But just suppose the OP had ready access to free or nearly free DVDs and free
or nearly free labor?  Is it practical then?

I can think of better reasons for insisting on DVDs.

For 1TB of data - there's no reason good enough.

For the 2nd round - 50GB/month, it is possible, and the brute force approach of dragging the new files weekly into k3b would work as well as anything and would give you disks that would let pretty much anything access the files directly.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx