Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 01:53 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 22:33 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Frank Cox wrote:

> > > I actually used to back up my BBS system to about that many floppy disks, using
> > > FastBack Plus.
> > >

> > You see, there are some of us who don't have money or don't want to give
> > it and are willing to find a different solution :)
> >
> > Sometimes a bigger (expensive) hammer is not the answer :)
>
> I think that the point that is being made is that the cost of the
> optical media and your time is going to exceed the cost of an additional
> hard-drive. Plus, as is being pointed out, the integrity of your backups
> are easily lost with just one scratch on the surface.
>
> I know. I tried doing this and have lost several batches of backup from
> one scratch on the dvds. I'm still angry at myself about it. So, unless
> you have a source of free blanks, the cost is there. I think K3b will
> create data disks. You might check that out. Ric
>
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

This is probably too late to help you ric, but the disks are plastic,
and the actual media that the recording is made into is a layer in the
middle.  The plastic can be buffed.  I had a favorite dvd movie that I
loved, and it got scratched.  I used toothpaste (not a gel, the old
paste), and a soft cloth (a diaper which we keep for working on varnish
and my motorcycle windshields) and buffed it out.  Take a small daub of
toothpaste, and using a circular motion with the finger(s), just keep
polishing the area with the scratch out to about 0.5" from it.  This
will restore the clarity of the plastic and the recording can be
recovered.
rinse, buff and repeat until the scratch is no longer present when light
is reflected off the disk.  Make a copy once it is working, because new
drives spin quite fast and I suspect the disk physical integrity may be
compromised.

Hope this hint helps some of you with those disks you thought were lost.

Regards,
Les H