Re: Sound output across the network possibility

On Feb 10, 2008 4:05 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stewart Williams wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before, but I thought someone may know the
> exact answer quickly.
>
> Computer A = Fedora 8
> Computer B = Fedora 8
>
> On Computer A I have headphones connected to my speaker jack and is
> where I listen to my music. However, I store also music on Computer B
> and have no speakers connected to the soundcard.
>
> What I want to know is, is it possible to say double click on an mp3
> file on Computer B and have it output the sound through my network to
> the headphones connected on Computer A's soundcard?
>
> And also (not essential) is this also possible if Computer A is running
> Windows?

Have you looked into VideoLan?  [ http://www.videolan.org/ ]

 From their website:

   It is a free cross-platform media player
   It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need
for additional codecs
   It can also be used as a streaming server, with extended features
(video on demand, on the fly transcoding, ...)

I'm a complete yutz wrt multimedia and Linux but VideoLan has given my
desktop life.  Just for the heckuvit I've run multiple instances so I
could listen to songs "in the round".

It runs very nicely on a 1G 512 white box.

Highly recommended.

My preferred network applications for mp3:

ampache
mpd/phpMp
icecast/ices0

They can also brodcast to the outside world, if you wish (to your work, e.g.).

And pulseaudio definitely works in a local network.

But ampache is "hors concours". It is far just the best of all.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ