Re: Impressions so far with FC 8 and Kubuntu Gutsy

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 19:43 -0500, Terry - Fedora Core wrote:
> What I don't like about Fedora Core: (this is really in comparison to
> Kubuntu):
>
>      1. Under Kubuntu I  used apt to download and install the NVidia
>         proprietary 3D drivers. I was informed of this right from the
>         get-go after installation and even assisted ... Under Fedora
>         Core, I don't know if there is a way to do that.

A simple internet search, or asking questions in places like this, will
find out that you can resolve such issues from the Livna repo, or
another repo (ATRPMs, I think), or get a driver directly from NVidia,
themselves (though that tends to have some problems).  Look at Livna,
read about it, there's explanations about why and how.

>      1. The SELinux default install caused me a LOT of grief. ...  At
>         this point I am only interested in learning whether I have to
>         keep it essentially turned off in permissive mode or can
>         change something to get it into enabled mode and not have lock
>         my computer down to the point that I cannot use it.

If you're never going to use it, then turn it completely off.  Forget
about the dire warning about having to relabel.  If you're not using it,
the labels don't matter.  And if you do, later on, decide you want to
use it, you can simply relabel.  It takes a while, but I've done so
without much pain.

Putting it into permissive means that it's running, and *supposedly*
allowing everything (in the past, it's been proved to still manage to
block some things), and logging what happens.  It's a test mode, it
allows you to get something working and work out what you'd need to
change to allow things to work under normal conditions.  If you're not
testing, there's little point using it in this manner.  It doesn't
protect you from anything, and can still cause problems.

If you can resolve the problem, or an update does it for you, then you'd
leave it on in the enforcing mode.

> Do other distro's use SELinux

Yes.

> how essential is SELinux to the operation of my computer and it's
> health and well being??

It isn't essential, but it's definitely an aid against some problems.
Like all technical solutions, it's not an absolute solution, it's
another link in the chain.

I haven't tried FC8 yet, but haven't had a problem with SELinux since
about FC3.  So, if the problem's not just down to your system, I'd
expect that the issue will be resolved soonish.  If the issues to do
with your setup, then someone may be able to help you when enough
information passes through.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.